In late June of 2011, Google launched its third attempt at a social media site, Google+, and since then, people have been asking, will Google+ make it? Here is the take on Google+ by Dallas Social Media speaker, J.R. Atkins.
1. Yes. Why?
- The 3rd time is a charm, after Google Buzz & Google Wave
- The market is ready for a Facebook competitor
- Google will integrate with Google Docs, Calendar, Reader, Gmail
- Google will somehow make it better on their ndroid operating system.
2. What’s it mean to me and my business?
- In addition to The Big 5 (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Blog & Video) you will now need to learn Google+.
- In time, Google+ will add “pages” or business Profiles. For now, they are asking you not to create a personal account for your brand and have removed some well known brands.
3. When can I get started?
- As soon as Google+ starts accepting new accounts again. When it started on June 28, Google+ accepted new accounts from you if you got an invitation from the beta group, mainly the Tech and Social Media community.
4. Could Google+ fail?
- Yes, unless they start accepting requests from people for new accounts. I have met several people who are so frustrated that they cannot get a Google+ account that when Google+ does open again, they don’t want an account, it’s called “backlash.”
5. Pros & Cons of Google+:
- Check out the article: Pros& Cons of Google+, By Denise Houseberg & J.R. Atkins
6. For a Google+ cheat sheet:
What do you think? Is your business looking at Google+? I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Future Events of Interest:
09-01-11 DFW-AMA Meet-n-Greet
09-14-11 Webinar: Making Social Media Work for Your Business
09-16-11 The Speaker Co-op DFW Monthly Meetup