Wearable Technology is the latest trend in the fitness and healthcare industry. Everyone is interested in knowing more and more about the individual and family’s health. This change in the approach, lifestyle may be because of the internet, which is spreading the latest updates of industries like fire or due to the medical expenses that have increased in manifold during last few years.
The electronics designed give you information about your weight, blood pressure, sleep quality and issues, calorie intake to manage diet, oxygen levels, exposure to UV rays, sitting position, heart rate, diabetes control, continuous glucose monitors, medicine dosage, or medical aid needed are worn on body parts like arms, wrists, thighs etc. are known as wearable’s. This technology has opened a new world of information in bits understood by the user and not just the medical professionals.
In last five years, we have seen tremendous growth in the wearable technology. Wearable technology has a history of past few centuries, but the electronic aspect integrated from 2002 onward has changed the use from just wrist watches that show time to the Apple Watch that gives health updates.
The wearable technology is widely used in health, wellness, and medical fields. The smart wearable technology is constantly re-innovating with help of technological advancements like Cloud, Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, and Machine Learning. The market categories that this advance technology includes are smart watch, smart band, smart glasses, fitness devices, earphones, wearable cameras, activity trackers, and smart clothing
Companies that play a
There are many products but the few ones that will change the way to think and live are as under:
- Aira: It can guide the blind with the voice interface of this wearable that describes the path, its challenges, turns, cab, door position, events, decorations, climate, people the blind person comes across, restaurants, food choices, medical stores, traffic and weather information and every required piece of information with this wearable eyeglasses and a concierge-esque service incorporated.
- Cyrcadia Health’s iTBra: This smart bra that is able to keep track of breast health conditions and rhythms in the breast tissue with the inbuilt sensors to record and identify the breast cancer and other issues. Though the success rate of this wearable is 87%, at least it will help women to take breast checkups in case of any discrepancies found.
- D2™ Charlie aviator: Garmin International’s D2™ Charlie aviator watch will be used by the pilots of the United States Air Force, it has high-sensitivity WAAS GPS-enabled that incorporates global navigation capability, provides rich and colorful moving maps. It is back-up to the other navigation tools on the aircrafts.
- Google Smart Contact Lenses: This smart wearable will benefit the people who suffer from diabetes; this technology takes tears within a person’s eye to measure the present glucose level in a body.
- Proteus Discover: This is a wearable with ingestible sensors, which is a small patch sticker applied to the body. Proteus Digital Health provides details on a mobile device of this patch once activated. It works differently to unlock unusual health patterns, take accurate decisions on medication treatment and its effectiveness and even change of dose or eradicate medication. The patients and doctors both can access the data relating to hypertension, cholesterol, and diabetes.
- Smart Stop: This is a smart device developed by Chrono Therapeutics helps people to stop smoking with the embedded with sensors that will sense changes in the body and put into motion algorithms that sense that a person is craving for a cigarette and nicotine. It will then deliver medication to the person to truncate the craving.
- Tactix Charlie: This GPS wearable by Garmin that combines specialized strategic operations with mapping-enhanced navigation, full-color TOPO mapping, and advanced fitness training features to monitor wrist-based heart rate, and advanced features that are built in and will help activities for any type of adventure.
- Quell Relief: It is the healthcare wearables with smart technology is like knee brace but differently engineered to give you the stability and relief that you expect out of a brace and the embedded sensors allow to gather and access information that can be accessed through an app. It is Bluetooth and iOS compatible. The device battery works to give you pain relief for over 40 hours continuously and then need to be charged.
The market research forecasts for the global smart wearable shows rise in CAGR at 40.8% between the years 2012 to 2018 and the global wearable technology market sales would raise to 245 million devices while the market size to reach US$ 25 billion by end of 2019. Research shows the smartwatches to rule the volumes of wearable sales. In near future “Hearables,” such as Apple Air Pods, and Glucose monitors will top the sales of wearables by 2022. The increasing number of manufacturers in electronic wearables is outcome of declining margins in Smartphones.
The innovation in wearable products, improve quality, precise prediction, real-time data, new data presentation, better display screen, data transfer to Smartphone, shrink in size of electronics and its reduced prices are the factors that are making technology benefits available and more reliable.
Devices that use technology for healthcare development will increase the average life expectancy with the alerts from wearables identifying problems, suggesting ailments check, and data transmission to the medical practitioners. Timely actions will help to save on medical expenses.
Interesting facts of innovation and market trend yet do not prove the electronic wearables safe for human wear. Any electronic device is prone to overheating, user data security, and bio-compatibility of the wearable has been a concern for quite some time.
The above-mentioned issues found in sub-standard products can be harmful to humans hence devices that match the quality criteria approved by the government can be used fearlessly. The user data has always been of great interest to the companies, manufacturers, and competitors but user awareness has compelled them to store but not sell this personal data. Battery and sensors can malfunction, if the wearable devices dropped frequently, battery is overcharged, exposed to water etc. that applies to every electronic device.
The devices that use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are safe, as per the views presented by technological experts and medical professionals; majorly the radiation comes from the 3G/4G connected devices.
Whether it is general awareness or a trend any technology if utilized for betterment of mankind and adopted in right manner can work wonders.
Harsh Arora is a proud father of four rescued dogs and a leopard gecko. Besides being a full-time dog father, he is a freelance content writer/blogger and an educationist, with more than 6 years’ experience in the field of content writing.